SOU SHIN SHA
Based in Miyagi prefecture, northeastern Japan, SOU SHIN SHA has specialized in tatami since its foundation in 1946.
The company is fully experienced in various construction projects including not only general houses and tea rooms but also public buildings and over 200 national treasures / important cultural properties such as temples and shrines requiring traditional techniques.
Traditional materials and techniques can only be passed down through constant and continued use. Further, SOU SHIN SHA adds new perspectives to authentic tatami production cultivated through preservation works of national treasures and important cultural assets, and then develops them into innovative products, contributing to the protection and the cultivation of tatami materials, manufacturing methods and Japanese culture.
Tatami made by SOU SHIN SHA
Tatami is a flooring material unique to Japan used for over 1300 years since the Nara period. It is made by wrapping the surface of a plate-shaped tatami floor which is a core material made of rice straw with a rug-like tatami mat weaved of rush (Igusa).
SOU SHIN SHA was founded in Monou town of Ishinomaki city, Miyagi prefecture in 1946. Miyagi Prefecture, being one of the prominent rice-producing regions in Japan since the Edo Period, is the nation's largest producer of tatami flooring. A climate peculiar to the land keeps the rice stems dry after harvest, producing high-quality rice straws. Our specialty started from utilizing of these straws.
Today, as a specialty shop focused on manufacturing and installing of tatami, we are engaged in maintenance preservation of buildings such as National Treasures Osaki Hachimangu Shrine, Zuiganji temple, and World Heritage Chusonji temple.
Domestic tatami mats are produced in various areas of Japan, each having its own regional features.
Straw Tatami floor is made locally in Miyagi prefecture.
SOU SHIN SHA uses carefully selected materials ideal for tatami mat and tatami floor.
Products of SOU SHIN SHA are handcrafted by skilled craftsman. While carefully handling natural materials with each unique characteristic, our experts exercise traditional techniques dedicating to the highest quality manufacturing of tatami from use in national treasures to important cultural assets, businesses and homes. Our innovative oblique marginless processing technology is a proprietary patented technique of SOU SHIN SHA invented and cultivated through tatami installation in temples and shrines.
About "XT (EX-TY)"
Deformation processing of "tatami" had long been considered impossible. We have successfully developed a method of deformation processing, deriving to our installation experiences in national treasures and important cultural properties which require high-level techniques and expertise. "XT (Extravagant Tatami)" is a newly designed tatami also preserving a touch of tradition of tatami which has been the foundation of every Japanese culture.
XT’s shape differs from the conventional tatami mat, showing deeper shading depending on the reflection angle of light which even makes you feel color. It is a special (extravagant) tatami with beautiful shading changed by time of the day through reflection of natural light.
XT also combines the characteristics of the tatami floor having deep elasticity and moisture conditioning, the scent and texture of the tatami mat, and the traditional features of natural materials. You can comfortably lie down on XT from the very first time as if it was on a soft lawn.
Features of XT (EX-TY)
- The "Straw tatami floor", used as a core material of XT, is made of straws alternately stacked 50 cm thick, compressed, and sewn with warp and weft threads. Having natural resilience and thus highly elastic, the straw absorbs the impact on legs and loins.
- Moisture conditioning
- A 3 cm thick, 1 m2 breadth straw tatami mat dehumidifies 65 ml of moisture per night. The straw tatami mat absorbs moisture in the room and releases it naturally by drying and ventilating during daytime throughout the year.
- XT uses a “Ryukyu tatami mat (made in Kunisaki city, Oita prefecture)”. The surface density and the light reflectivity of the XT are higher than ordinary tatami mats, allowing deeper shading to emerge depending on the angle of view and of sunlight.
- A flooring type tatami mat used on wooden flooring are easily removed to clear the floor or to dry under the shade. XT combines different sizes of tatami mats matching each design, creating a single mat in specific size.
- XT fills the room with a refreshing scent of natural rush (Igusa).
- XT uses a Ryukyu tatami almost 5 times durable than a generally sold tatami. But we advise you to remove your shoes upon use.
- ・XT can be used on wooden flooring.
- ・Orders accepted in 1 cm increments.
- ・CAD data designs accepted upon request.
- ・Products can be easily installed referring to attached layout drawings.
- ・Shipments are air-flown with dedicated packing.
- 1.82m×0.91m (1 standard Tatami mat size) from 165,000JPY
- 2.73m×2.73m (4 1/2 standard Tatami mat size, in 12 pieces) from 740,000JPY
- 3.64m×2.73m (6 standard Tatami mat size, in 16 pieces) from 987,000JPY
*The above prices are exclusive of shipping fees that will be charged additionally.
*Measuring service is not available for customers outside of Japan. Please contact us if you need help with specific measurement or size.
*Air shipment only.